Craft Recordings and Concord Theatricals have announced the release of Covers From Away, a brand new folk album featuring songs from the hit Tony and Olivier Award-winning musical Come From Away by Irene Sankoff & David Hein.
The album is the musical, reinterpreted by the Newfoundland and Labrador bands and artists who originally inspired the sound of the musical.
David Hein said, “This project was such a gift for us. To have our music interpreted by these amazing bands that we’re such huge fans of is truly an honor! When we first started writing Come From Away, we knew we wanted the music to be as authentic as possible, so we listened to every album from all the Newfoundland and Labrador bands that I fell in love with growing up. And now, with this album, we get to share an even more authentic experience, with those same bands putting their unique spin on every song from our show.”
Irene Sankoff said, “Come From Away has very few stand-alone songs, so what was most exciting about this project was the opportunity to actually collaborate with these bands by digging into our original or cut lyrics, writing new ones, or pairing songs together to create something completely new. With this album, we hope to bring Newfoundland music to people around the world. I hope people will return the favor by seeking out these artists, and buying their albums and going to their concerts, and even coming to Newfoundland to hear them.”
This new album was recorded in summer 2021 in various locations throughout Newfoundland, Canada. It was produced by Irene Sankoff and David Hein, the writers of the musical’s book, music and lyrics, along with Ian Eisendrath, Bob Hallett and Sean Patrick Flahaven.
Track list includes:
- “Welcome To The Rock” – performed by The Navigators
- “I Am Here” – performed by Rosemary Lawton
- “Wherever We Are” – performed by The Punters
- “Heave Away” – performed by Alan Doyle
- “Stop The World” – performed by The Once
- “Costume Party” – performed by Rachael Cousins and Abigale
- “Lead Us Out Of The Darkness” – performed by Silver Wolf Band
- “Screech In” – performed by Shanneyganock
- “Me And The Sky” – performed by Damhnait Doyle
- “Prayer Of St. Francis” / “Mi’kmaq Honor Song” – performed by Jason Benoit
- “Blankets And Bedding” – performed by The Irish Descendants
- “Somewhere In The Middle Of Nowhere” – performed by Sherman Downey
- “Screech Out” – performed by The Dardanelles
- “Themes From Come From Away” – performed by Ofra Harnoy, Mike Herriott and Bob Hallett
Covers From Away was mixed by Ian Kagey, with additional editing by Neal Shaw. The album was mastered by Oscar Zambrano.
Check out the latest theatre news.